The sun is shining, the ground is warming and that means the snow in Omaha is melting!
Here are a few tips to help keep the messiest parts of our seasons OUTSIDE where it belongs.
- Old towels – Keep a stack of old rags or towels by where you or your pets come into the house on a regular basis. You can use them as a rug, or use them to wipe off dirty paws or shoe soles. It may not look pretty in your entry areas, but it will help cut down on the amount of debris that gets embedded in your carpet and tile grout, it will also help prevent moisture from sitting on your hardwood or laminate flooring which can cause warping.
- Vacuum – Keep a small dust buster or spot vacuum by your entrance. Having it handy helps you to remember to use it often.
- Outside maintenance – get out the broom, rake, shovel, hose…and keep your walkways and driveway free of slush, mud, and leftover salt/sand.
- Shoes off! – The very best way to keep your flooring clean is to remove your shoes immediately upon entering. If you don’t have a mudroom, or just a small entry space, you can create a space to place them in right when you get in the house. We recommend a shoe tray that has raised edges for possible melting snow or slush. When it gets dirty, you can simply take it outside to dump and rinse!
- Call us – If you still end up with mud and slush on your carpet, BLOT do NOT rub or scrub. Allow area to dry after blotting and attempt to vacuum the area to remove the dried debris. If that doesn’t do the trick, give us a call!
We are happy to help with all of your home flooring and remodeling needs. Take advantage of our specials all year long!